Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mall Cops and Zombie Directors

Welcome to The Movie Man's blog. Here, you will find film reviews that range from obscure independent films to mainstream special effects fests. My taste in movies is quite eclectic. I watch it all, and I'll let you know what I think is worth your time and money and what wasn't worth making in the first place.
On the menu today, I've cooked up a couple movie reviews for those wondering what to watch this week.
OBSERVE AND REPORT (2009): From Jody Hill, creator of HBO's East Bound and Down, this bizarre dark comedy is sure to divide audiences. Personally, I loved it, but I feel that a disclaimer must accompany my recommendation. This is no Paul Blart: Mall Cop. This is more like Taxi Driver on drugs...in a mall. Seth Rogen plays Ronnie Barnhardt, the bi-polar head of mall security in this whacked-out farce. Fans of East Bound will most likely get a kick out of this, but those that like their comedies light should steer clear, because this film is loaded with amoral, corrupt characters. Rated R for pervasive language, graphic nudity, drug use, sexual content and violence. Genre: Action/Comedy. 86 minutes. Available on DVD/Blu-ray 9/22/09. My score: 7.2/10
THE HAUNTED WORLD OF EL SUPERBEASTO (2009): An animated film by Rob Zombie based on his own comic book. This is exactly what I would expect out of an animated movie from Rob Zombie: excessive violence, nudity and curse words. It's insanely juvenile, but if you know what you're in for it's a fun enough ride. Sure, there's no character development or substance, but I got some laughs out of it. The song numbers are especially hilarious, mainly because the lyrics make reference to the stupidity and crassness of the script. Some other jokes are redundant and tedious, but a good voice cast (including Paul Giamatti and Rosario Dawson) livens things up and has fun with their roles. Fans of Zombie's films, Heavy Metal (the 1981 animated film), Ralph Bakshi's work, or males aged 16-30 who like a little humor with their sex and violence should check this out, but others beware (particularly the easily offended). Rated R for strong crude and sexual content throughout, nude graphics, language, violence and gore. Genre: Animation/Action/Comedy. 77 minutes. Available on DVD on 9/22/09. My score: 6.3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment